A collection of Academy acclaimed shorts to broadcast in India for the first time
by Suman Gupta
Mumbai, 11th February’19 :To celebrate Oscar season this month, Tata Sky ShortsTV has planned a power-packed schedule filled with carefully curated Academy acclaimed shorts. Starting February 10th, every evening at 9pm the channel will premiere a short film previously recognised by the Oscars. The shorts will come from varied genres (Live Action, Animation and Documentary) and will include titles such as The Voorman Problem, Bear Story and The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore among others. Tata Sky ShortsTV will also air a special Oscar marathon on the day of the Oscar ceremony (February 24th) with back-to-back Oscar films and interviews with Oscar nominated filmmakers.
Commenting on the initiative, Mr. Carter Pilcher, Chief Executive of Shorts International Ltd said, “The Oscars is one of the most awaited events by film audiences across the globe each year. ShortsTV has been bringing the Oscar Nominated Short Films to cinema and TV screens around the world for over a decade and we’re thrilled to be bringing them to Indian TV audiences for the first time”.
Speaking on the occasion, Arun Unni, Chief Content Officer, Tata Sky said, “Tata Sky ShortsTV is India’s first ever curated platform for short stories and films. Delivering on the promise of offering the best content to subscribers, premiering the prestigious Oscar recognized short films brought to India by ShortsTV, was an irresistible choice.”
The broadcast of previously nominated Oscar shorts on Tata Sky ShortsTV comes ahead of the theatrical release of the 2019 Oscar Nominated Shorts Films in Indian cinemas, details of which will be announced soon. The 2019 release will be the first time the Oscar Nominated Short Films will be screened in Indian cinemas and will give Indian short film fans the opportunity to see the latest Oscar nominated shorts on the big screen.
- ShortsTV is operated by Shorts International Ltd, the world’s leading short movie entertainment company
- With over 5,000 titles, Shorts International has the world’s largest library of shorts available on TV, online and in theatres, including award-winning and star-studded live action, animated and documentary shorts from around the world
- ShortsTV is the world’s only 24/7 HD TV channel dedicated to short movies. It is available in approximately 70 million households across the US, India, Latin America, the Netherlands, Belgium and Serbia
- In 2018, ShortsTV launched the ShortsTV App which marries the linear ShortsTV feed with the functionality of the Internet, at the click of a button on a viewer’s remote control. Using advanced machine-learning algorithm technology, the ShortsTV App enables viewers to either watch TV or to create, control and personalize their own TV channel, engineered to their desired genres or moods
- Online, ShortsTV offers hundreds of the world’s best independent shorts for download on iTunes in 92 countries, as well as on Amazon Instant Video (UK, US and Germany), Google Play (US and Canada) and Verizon and Frontier (US)
- Since 2006, Shorts International has exclusively presented the ‘Oscar Nominated Short Films’ theatrical release in cinemas across the US, South America, Europe, Australia and South Africa
- Shorts International is headquartered in London, England with offices in Los Angeles and Mumbai. The company is led by Carter Pilcher, Chief Executive, and is owned by Shorts Entertainment Holdings, with AMC Networks as a significant minority shareholder